Meet time: Please refer to your confirmation email
Location: You will meet in the Timberline Mountain Guides’ Mountain Office inside the Wy’East Day Lodge at the Timberline Ski Resort
Day 1: Orientation and Steep Snow Climbing Course
After meeting your group and your guide, you can expect to spend a few minutes sorting and issuing gear, fitting boots and crampons, and going through logistics for the climb. If after reviewing the equipment list you still have questions about what to wear or bring on the climb, this is the time to ask, so please bring all of your gear with you. During this session, your guide will brief you on the current mountain and route conditions, weather, and the schedule for the rest of the climb.
Once everyone in your group has all the gear they need and all of the pre-climb logistics have been sorted, your team and guides will take a 15 minute hike to our training area. You’ll practice crampon, ice-axe and rope-work skills throughout the afternoon.
After your snow school you’ll meet your snowcat for the ride up to Silcox Hut. You will need to bring your duffel for overnighting. It should include comfortable clothing, toiletries, comfortable shoes and phone, if desired. You will bring this bag up to the Silcox Hut with you. There, you’ll relax in front of the fire, get to know your fellow climbers, shower if you want, and enjoy a fine catered dinner before getting to be early for your alpine start the next day.
Day 2: Climb Day
You’ll wake up in the middle of the night to the smell of hot coffee, tea and light breakfast, served to get you on a great start toward the summit. Our climb begins right out of the door of the Silcox Hut. We’ll spend the 5 to 6 hours climbing towards the summit, and weather and conditions permitting we’ll reach the top in the early hours of the morning. Once you’ve completed your descent to the Silcox you’ll take a snowcat down to the Timberline Mountain Guides office, to return any gear you rented. You can expect to be back to the Timberline Lodge before noon.
- Snowcat transportation to and from the Silcox Hut before and after your climb
- Pillows and bedding at the Hut
- Catered dinner and light breakfast before the climb
- Guides trained by the American Mountain Guides Association
- Ropes, carabiners, protection, and all other technical equipment
- Instruction and skills practice prior to your climb
- Group first aid kit
We rent: Please give use 1 month notice on equipment requests
- mountaineering boots
- ice axe
- climbing pack
- insulated jacket
What You Need to Bring:
- All the gear on the equipment list
- Food and water for a half-day of skills and a challenging 8-10 hour summit day
- Personal technical equipment
Directions to the Wy’East Day Lodge at Timberline Ski Resort:
Timberline Ski Resort is located on the south side of Mt. Hood in the Mt. Hood National Forest. Without traffic or inclement weather, it should take approximately 1hr 30mins from Portland or the Portland airport and approximately 2hrs 30mins from Bend or the Bend/Redmond airport. For those traveling to Oregon to climb Mt. Hood, we recommend flying into Portland as it is the closest major city to the mountain. Directions from the airport are provided below.
From the Portland International Airport:
- Follow signs to Interstate 205 S and Interstate 84/Portland/Salem
- Take I-205 S for 1.5 mi
- Take Exit 22 to merge onto I-84 East/U.S. 30 East towards The Dalles and follow that for approximately 8 mi
- Take Exit 16 for 238th Drive and Wood Village
- Turn right onto NE 238th Dr. and follow that for approximately 1 mi
- Continue onto NE 242nd Dr. and follow that for approximately 2 mi
- Turn left onto E. Powell Blvd. and follow that for approximately .5 mi until it turns into U.S. 26 East/Mt. Hood Hwy. and follow that for approximately 38 mi until you pass the town of Government Camp
- Turn left on the Timberline Rd./Timberline Hwy. and follow that for approximately 6 mi until you reach the Timberline Lodge and Ski Area.
- For guest staying at the Timberline Lodge, you may want to park in the upper lot by the main lodge. For all others, park in the lower lot. The lower, more modern of the two buildings is the Wy’East Day Lodge.
- The Climbers’ Register is located at the main, lower entrance facing the lower parking lot. Timberline Mountain Guides’ Mountain Office is located inside the building on the lower level, down the hall near the gift shop.