Use this equipment list is for one-day hiking trips, including South Sister and Middle Sister.
You must have all the items on this list regardless of season or forecast. Please call us if you have any questions. Your guide will not let you climb if you don’t have appropriate gear. Please arrive at your meet-time dressed for the activity. There will be time for questions and adjustments.
- Underwear – Wool or synthetic (ex: Men’s Ortovox Base Layers, Women’s Ortovox Base Layers )
- Socks – (ex: Men’s Ortovox Socks, Women’s Ortovox Socks)
- T-shirt – Synthetic, quick-drying (ex: Men’s Ortovox T-Shirts, Women’s Ortovox T-Shirts)
- Hiking/Softshell Pants (ex: Men’s Ortovox Pelmo Pants, Women’s Ortovox Pelmo Pants)
- Waterproof-breathable Jacket – Waterproof, breathable jacket without insulation; requires a helmet-compatible hood. (ex: Men’s Ortovox Hardshell Jacket, Women’s Ortovox Hardshell Jacket)
- Insulated jacket – (ex: Men’s Swisswool Piz Duan Jacket, Women’s Swisswool Piz Duan Jacket)
- Light-weight Gloves – Windproof gloves, for warmer conditions. (ex: Men’s Ortovox Tour Glove, Women’s Ortovox Tour Glove)
- Sun Hat – The more coverage the better. Baseball caps or packable sun hats will work (ex: Outdoor Research Hats)
- Small Backpack – 15-25 L
- Sturdy hiking shoes or boots
- Trekking Poles– Highly recommended to support knees on the downhill
- Lunch/Snacks – Food for a strenuous 8 hour day
- Water Bottles – Two 1-liter bottles required. (ex: Nalgene)
- Sun Block – SPF 30 or higher
- Lip Balm – SPF 15 or higher
- Toilet Paper – Just in case!
- Headlamp – For alpine starts (ex: Petzl Headlamps)
- Personal First Aid Kit – Moleskin, ibuprofen, aspirin, antacids, personal prescriptions, band-aids.