Use this equipment list for the following trips: Intro to Alpine Rock, Mount Washington, Three Fingered Jack, and the NW Ridge of Broken Top.
You must have all the items on this list at your climber orientation regardless of season or forecast. Please call us if you have any questions. Your guide will not let you climb if you don’t have appropriate gear. Please arrive at the trailhead dressed for the activity. There will be time for questions and adjustments.
- Underwear – Wool or synthetic
- Socks – Wool or synthetic
- T-shirt – Synthetic, quick-drying
- Lightweight Fleece Shirt – For example, the Patagonia R1 Hoody
- Softshell Jacket – Ex: Mammut Ultimate Alpine Hoody
- Softshell Pants – Ex: Courmayeur Advanced Pants
- Shell jacket – Requires a helmet-compatible hood.
- Insulated jacket – Required, with a helmet-compatible hood and either down or Primaloft insulation. For example, Mammut’s Rime Pro Jacket. (Micro-puff jackets are too light for expected conditions.) *This item IS available for rent
- Gloves – Leather gloves for rope-handling and wind-resistance
- Warm Hat – Wool or synthetic, and snug enough to wear under a helmet.
- Buff, or Balaclava – Protection from wind, cold and sun.
- Sun Hat – For the hike in and out
- Lunch/Snacks – 1 lb per day of a variety of tasty, high energy foods
- Water bottle/bladder – 2 liters
- Sunglasses – Should be high-quality, and high coverage
- Sun Block – SPF 30 or higher
- Lip Balm – SPF 15 or higher
- Toilet Paper – Just in case! Blue bags will be available at most trailheads.
- Headlamp – Always have this in your alpine rock climbing pack!
- Personal First Aid Kit – Moleskin, ibuprofen, aspirin, antacids, personal prescriptions, band-aids
- Boots, or approach shoes – A hiking boot or shoe with good ankle support
- Rock climbing shoes – comfortable for all-day wear
- Climbing Harness – Alpine-style, for example, the Black Diamond Couloir
- Carabiners – 1 non-locking, 1 locking
- Belay Device – tube-style with two slots for rappeling
- 48” double-length sewn sling – for rappel extension and tether
- Climbing Helmet – For example, the Black Diamond Half Dome
- Climbing Pack – 20-30 liters
- Trekking Poles – optional, and highly recommended